Metallica..

Discuss whatever you like

Metallica..

Postby DS3K on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Does anyone care about them anymore? That band really needs to let it go. No one has cared about their music for quite some time.

Sad but true.
DS3K

Re: Metallica..

Postby sloburnt on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:48 am

the new one rips pretty good actually. Now AC/DC - there is some pointless pt 3 they're putting out.. just an excuse to tour again. RocknRoll Train? cheesuz

got some pit tix for Metallica comin up. If you haven't seen em, damn.. They're gonna be massive with Trujillo swingin axe. Who else metal has a stage in the middle of the floor like that?
sloburnt

Postby Jim01 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:46 am

Yeah 2 weeks in a row at #1. Platinum (or damn near it) in two weeks.You're right, nobody cares about this band....

I have never been a huge fan but the new one is good. My only beef is it is too long. Each song it 7 minutes or so and the album is over an hour and twn minutes long. I have listened to it 3 times and by the 8th song or so I get tired and bored. I can only rock out so long!
Jim01

Postby DS3K on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:32 pm

Hum....let me help you here just so you can understand your own post...

Billboard tracks record sales. They also track radio play but when a record is at the number one spot it is not because you requested the song on the radio.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That said their new record is at number 1 for two weeks. Almost 1 million in sales thus far. GREAT!

So are you saying sales = good? Number 1 on billboard means that an artist is POPular. Thus Metallia has the best selling pop record. And you know Metalica has been selling pop rock for some time now. After all it sells.

But if Metallic only sells 1 million does that mean this a good record? Selling a million records is nothing to scoof at but what is the population of the US and what percent is a million?

How many did the last couple records sell?

Do a google search and you will find that US population is around 305 million. That means about 304 million could care less.

I for one do not look to billboard to tell me what music matters. (I remind you that the Baha Men won a Grammy for their number 1 song Who Let The Dogs Out? or that MIlli Vanilli sold a few million records too.)

A lot of the songs and records I love don't make it to the top of the charts yet many of them end up on the best ever lists the world round. (Must be a weird coincident cause I am not that cool.) Or they prove to be the most influential in terms of what you hear years later. And so they matter more than the number 1s??? Or so the record reviewers say. Billboard tracks nothing more that pop culture buying habits.

Now if this death magnetic record is number 1 for the next 10 years and congress makes it law we must own every Metalica record twice I will be in prison for breaking the law! If that does happen then good for them. They need the money.

Bottom line is I was never into listick leotards and large hair. That is what Metallica however infair will always be a part of for me. I was never that cool to be into that scene.

ROCK ON!!! Even if like you say it's tired and boring.
DS3K

Postby DS3K on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 pm

BTW I have done some great dance remixes of Sad But True and Enter Sandman. I will be posting them soon. I'll post the link when I do.
DS3K

Postby Jim01 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:31 am

Yikes. Man I was just giving you some good natured ribbing / playing devil's advocate. Like I said, I am not even a Metallica fan. I listened to the album a few times online and thought it was ok but I haven't bought it and don't plan to.

Sorry I poked the angry bear.
Jim01

Postby Thomas on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:54 am

Funny thing is I've seen very similar quotes as yours on blogs, bbs' and reviews, sadly not talking about Metallica. Instead the quotes are referring to our beloved Toadies, but with a little less venom.
DS3K wrote:Does anyone care about them anymore? That band really needs to let it go. No one has cared about their music for quite some time.

Sad but true.

ps. Please don't go on a rant about my response. I get it. I haven't purchased anything from them since the black album, which I hated. That was during my heavy Pixies days and Metallica didn't do it for me anymore.
'Our love is rice and beans and horses lard'
Thomas

Postby Rob Holmes on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:58 pm

i was a big metallica fan when "justice" came out and remained a giant fan until after the black album. i like the metallica that thrashes.

because of that, i'm a VERY big fan of the new album. i've actually listened to it quite a lot and like it nearly as much as some of their earlier work.

i guess i can understand some of the "hang it up! it's over!" criticism, but i think i've gotten to the point where i'm just old enough to start appreciating releases by bands i really, really use to like.

i'm happy the new metallica sounds like their old stuff, even if it probably isn't as good as the older stuff is. i'm happy the toadies put out a new album, even if it isn't as strong as their first album. i pray the pixies put out a new CD, even if it comes nowhere close to being as good as surfer rosa or doolittle are.
Rob Holmes

Postby DS3K on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:03 pm

venom? I thought I was being nice. You know I could have been a lot harder on Metalicka.

as for my "rant" I was merely explaining myself and the fallacy of the statement that number 1 means a band matters.

my bad for scaring the newbies.
DS3K

Postby Jim01 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:20 am

woah woah woah newbie? I know you ain't talking about me son!

I just didn't care enough about the subject to argue back. I will say that you spent a lot of text arguing that #1 doesn't means a band matters when I never said it did. As I said earlier, the fact that are #1 means that people still CARE about the band, not that they are good or matter in the world of music.

Also, by your "Do a google search and you will find that US population is around 305 million. That means about 304 million could care less." logic, NOTHING fucking matters and nobody cares about music. Even the best selling albums off all time are only owned by a relatively small percent of the population, so I guess no music matters and nobody cares. Also grammatically you actually prove my point, if 304 million could care less, then that means they care a little about the band. (The proper phrase is they COULDN'T care less).

Anywho, just some good natured debating :)
Jim01

Next

Return to Non Toadies