Baboon

Discuss whatever you like

Re: Baboon

Postby Thomas on Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:47 am

I concur
daniel wrote: It's a great album, deserted island album for me.
'Our love is rice and beans and horses lard'
Thomas

Postby Rez on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:46 am

For anyone that doesn't have it yet, and assuming you're already a Baboon fan if you're following this thread, I highly recommend searching out a copy of The Boom Boom Box EP. It has shades of old school Baboon (think "Face Down..." or "Secret Robot..."), but lots of other cool things going on, too (some Krautrock-ish influence, some darker Joy Division kinda vibes, etc). I'd say there's less of the pop-oriented Baboon of their last couple releases, but that's not to say the songs aren't catchy. Just a little noisier. Great playing all around (the drummer is especially on point). Can't wait to see them live!!
Rez

Postby Thomas on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Rez, hook a brotha' up with The Boom Boom Box EP. I know it's usually fans tossing cassettes/cd's to band members, but how about doing it in reverse. ;)

It was worth a try. See you guys next Thursday at Webster Hall.
Thomas

Postby daniel on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:05 pm

BUMP

Baboon plays this saturday at the Double Wide in Dallas. It's going to be a great show with LIONS, Record Hop, Dove Hunter and two members of PPT. Who knows when you'll get to see Baboon again so if you're in Dallas I suggest you go.
daniel

Postby Thomas on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:02 am

Someone better record and share the show!

I knew Rez was a member for a short time, but I had no idea.
Rez the Baboon...
Although Rez has many bad sides to his personality (a general case of megalomania combined with a few aggression issues, grumpiness, bouts of bad temper etc) ...
...he is no worse than your average rich human and do have his tender moments (as when he is carefully licking Eden nuts off my hand, to ensure me that he has no intentions of biting me).
Thomas

Postby daniel on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:16 pm

The show was great. I noticed the two members of PPT didn't perform which kinda disappointed me. Also, my friend I was with wanted to leave after Baboon so we missed Lions. Not cool either because they are great. We were going to record the show on his iPhone but there was a camera nazi going around threatening to kick people out if they recorded anything or even took pictures. Now on to the good things. Record Hop was real good. Dove Hunter was even better. And then Baboon was greatness.

their setlist in not perfect order: may be missing a song because it didn't seem this short

night of the long knives
alright
breaking glass...
saturday
closer
arms around the world
Dracula eyes
over you shoulder - echo and the bunnymen cover...
into the sea
lushlife
sucker
evil
daniel

Postby Thomas on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:28 am

Most of us on this board knew of and coveted all recordings the Toadies never officially released. Thanks to time and this BBS we are overstocked in Toadies ‘rarities’, in a good way. I thank all who have made this possible from my first Toadies file transfer with ‘The Package Thief’ almost 10 years ago through last years better sounding versions of the same songs with many more I’d never had before by Paul. Recently I’ve come into possession of Baboon’s ‘The Silver Era Demos 97-98’. What a huge score. There are nineteen songs in all from three different recording sessions. This explains why three of the songs have two different versions. Some songs do make there way to official releases but are re-recorded for the EP ‘We Sing and Play’ and CD ‘Something Good…’. According to the bands wiki 'Spoon Bender', 'Tidal Wave' and 'Mal De Mer' were all on compilations but I have no idea if these Session songs were used for those releases.
The songs in order of session. The color is to represent the EP or CD it would later be released on.
Session 1
01 Rise
02 A Faint is a Falling Ovation
03 Spoonbender
04 12 Seconds
05 King of the Damned Laser Gag
06 Waiting For the Go
07 Watch the World Explode (1)
08 Tidal Wave
Session 2
01 Lush Life
02 Me Against Me (1)
03 Sunshine Thru the Rain (Evil) (1)
04 Goodnight, Goodbye
05 Watch the World Explode (2)
06 Closer
Session 3
01 Mal de Mer
02 Tumble Down
03 Endlessly
04 Me Against Me (2)
05 Sunshine Thru the Rain (Evil) (2)

Of the songs I’d never heard of before I can’t get enough of both versions of ‘Watch the World Explode’. The crescendo to this song will take your breath away. ‘Mal de Mer’ is another standout as is ‘A Faint is a Falling Ovation’, ‘Tumble Down’ and both versions of ‘Me Against Me’. My “why is it titled that” moment came when I heard ‘Sunshine thru the Rain’ because we all know it as the song ‘Evil’. I still can’t figure out why it is titled this since ‘Lush Life’ has the lyrics ‘Someday I’ll see the sunshine thru the rain’ in it. Some or most of you are in the know already and knew all this. I do realize I’m over a decade behind, but these recordings are new to me. If they are new to you I’ll be happy to share them. Rez brought these songs up a few years ago on the old Baboon message board and I finally got my hands on them. Thanks Jason.
Thomas

Postby Jim01 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:03 pm

I'd love to hear them. Can you throw them up online somewhere?
Jim01

Postby Thomas on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm gonna upload it over the weekend to sendspace. Probably in 3 stages because it would be over 100 MB's for one download. For those who still convert to CD's for home or car stereo all 19 songs will fit on one CDR. As always if anyone in the band or who speaks for them objects I'll take it down.
Jim01 wrote:I'd love to hear them. Can you throw them up online somewhere?
Thomas

Postby Thomas on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:02 am

Baboon - The Silver Era Demos

NEXT ONE DOWN WORKS
Last edited by Thomas on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

PreviousNext

Return to Non Toadies