Baboon

Discuss whatever you like

Re: Baboon

Postby daniel on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:41 pm

Thanks for the updates PAUL. Any word on why Baboon is calling it quits? I figured some of the members prolly just moved on in their lives or something as simple as that. Really hope they do plan one last show. Actually I hope they at least get together randomly for shows a few times a year. Seems that's already been the case lately which is why that article was no surprise to me, I told all my friends to go see them with me while they still could.
daniel

Postby Thomas on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:11 pm

Got this on a Google alert.
http://stashdauber.blogspot.com/2008/10 ... m-box.html
speaking of justin robertson, he sez this be's clay stinnett's new band (with a coupla dudes from baboon). they have an e.p. and debut at lola's on october 18th with dove hunter opening

PAUL wrote:OK.. Boom Boom Box is
Mike (guitar) and Andy (vocals) of Baboon
Drummer from Ghost Car (I dont't know his name)
Bassist from Pleasant Grove
Guitarist from Pinkston (not Josh)

Go see them next sat at Lola's in Ft Worth.
'Our love is rice and beans and horses lard'
Thomas

Postby Thomas on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:17 pm

http://www.samred.com/bigdlittled/

D Nuts || September 29, 2008
Funny the things that slip by when you're outta town for so long--like, uh, a new band spawning from the mouth of Baboon. Turns out The Boom Boom Box has been percolating since at least the beginning of this summer, spearheaded by Baboon's original founders Mike Rudnicki and Andrew Huffstetler. Dd's Jasun Lee reports that other band members include guitarist Ean Parsons (Pinkston) and drummer Clay Stinnett (Ghostcar)--I guess it's 1998 all over again? Their site reports an EP release around the same time as their live debut: October 18th at Lola's in Fort Worth.

It's hard to gauge whether this band is continuing the Baboon legacy of old or striking out on a new path--but it's not hard to appreciate the band's debut song, posted this morning. Certainly more of an opening salvo than a hit single, "Henry the Skunk" drags Huffstetler out of his usual role as an anthemic chorus screamer; the only chorus is a a repeating guitar blast, fueled by Stinnett's ridiculous drumming and a dark hat-tip to Joy Division. Cool.

Wuz this mean for Baboon, though? No shows are listed at their site, and the band's been generally quiet since releasing their self-titled stunner in 2006. Baboon fans, don't expect to unsheath your whistles any time soon.
posted by Sam M. at 12:53 PM
'Our love is rice and beans and horses lard'
Thomas

Postby ri jed on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:43 am

i dig the boom boom box song, it sort of has a talking heads' nervousness about it.

Dd's Jasun Lee reports

i remember him from the old toadies site, great taste in music.
ri jed

Postby PAUL on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:55 pm

No one really knows why Baboon is on hiatus including the band it seems.. there just seemed to be no productivity.. so Andy and Mike were getting restless and decided to try and write some music with some new people.
Baboon was invited to play several of the Toadies shows here in Texas including the Dia De Los Toadies show but they turned them all down.

From what i understand Mark Hughes decided to stop playing with the Toadies because he has a full-time job and he wouldn't have been able to tour like the Toadies wanted him to.
But all of the Baboon guys have jobs and families.. so that stuff can always make it harder for bands over time.

I look forward to hearing the new Boom Boom Box stuff. I did the first song.

Austin fans that want to check out Boom Boom Box keep Dec 6th open on your calandar.. we are trying to work out a show.
just sayin..

PAUL
PAUL

Postby Andy on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:42 am

Wow. Emos is stacked Dec 6th my friends The Pons have their CD release party.
Where will the Boom Boom play?

Hook em up at the Parish!
Andy

Postby PAUL on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:06 pm

I am setting up teh Quiet Company CD Release party at the Scoot Inn on 12/6 and they have been invited to play on the bill.
PAUL

Postby daniel on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Baboon has a show scheduled at the Double Wide on November 22.
daniel

Postby sheep on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:19 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to get my hands on a hard copy of baboon's latest album? I've seen it on itunes, but I'm not a huge fan of paying for digital stuff, rather get the real thing if I'm putting down money.

If not, is there anywhere I can just listen to it without having to buy it? I'm fairly sure I didn't see a torrent for it anywhere.
sheep

Postby daniel on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:27 pm

Where you are you might have to buy it off amazon. It's a great album, deserted island album for me.
daniel

PreviousNext

Return to Non Toadies