possum kingdom
rattlers revenge
away
no deliverance
summer of the strange
happyface
tyler
push the hand

photos to be posted along with my take on the show, as early as but not necessarily on Tuesday.
Sorry everyone, I'm on vacation sans shows for the time being, but wanted to post this up.
The only thing that sucked is when the Toadies left the stage. SERIOUSLY.

Someone said it last night, "If i go deaf listening to the Toadies it'll be fine as the toadies would 've been the last thing I heard."

Good to see lots of fans out there!
"We're murderers; Murderers, Liars, Rapists and Thieves/You should never put your trust in any of us."
MissTeen

Re: Portland-Seattle setlists

Postby jjschlief on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:59 pm

The coolest thing was seeing the Toadies get their brand out there. Too bad their set was so short.
jjschlief

Postby thewicke on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:49 pm

those are pretty short sets. definitely prefer the toads as headliner. I love livin' in Texas where they are treated as royalty.
thewicke

Postby MissTeen on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:19 pm

PDX #1:
wah wah wah, these were gone before I could get one.
I said it before, and I will say it again, sacrilege blasphemy heresy: Toadies shouldn't have a shortened set.
These shows were like seeing a pristine soundcheck. Everything sounded solid, though the vocals were slightly low in the mix. IT sucked that these werent headlining shows with a full-on fanbase. After the first night, I saw a setlist get crumpled, and it hurt. [I have 12 of 18 from shows I've gone to. Eleven up on my wall along with drumsticks, show posters, show adverts, some of Vadens lyrics sheets, etc. I have no shame. and got two from that first Portland night]
Doni's bass takes a life of its own in the new songs, and for the Horton heat cover. Its more prominent than in the other songs from before he started working on material with them. Its his own. He's always done justice to the rest of their catalog, but ohmygoodness, to have heard the way he starts out Summer of The Strange with his bass makes me happy to be alive. To have heard that song only a few days before and already know the words isnt so much a testament to my fandom, but to the band making interesting, lasting music that people can identify with. or atleast that i can find meaning in..

The lighting was odd for the first night. I could only hear VTL's voice and see his outline, which i didnt end up minding as it seemed ethereal. As if it isnt obvious, I think he's such a profound lyricist, and am always in awe of what he does.
'No stage diving tonight'
[Could Rez or Wes be so inclined to post a picture of that amp?]
Rez was killing it. Just wow. Over the years/shows, I've def. found myself paying more attention to the way he drums. Sweetness was a major highlight for night one, and Tyler stood out for me the most drum-wise in Seattle. Incredibly intense.

I can't remember verbatim, but I believe he said that he was angry that his drum kit was breaking.
These were amazing shows and only lacked more enthusiasm from the crowds.
"We're murderers; Murderers, Liars, Rapists and Thieves/You should never put your trust in any of us."
MissTeen

Postby MissTeen on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:01 am

Photobucket sometimes cuts off the images I link, so right-clicking VIEWIMAGE displays it entirely.

The second show:
^this explains it all.

As mentioned, the vox seemed to be low in the mix at the shows. I honestly couldnt make out the words for Animals from the first night, and only recognized lyrics Wes had previously posted on Vaden's Facebook for Rattlers Revival. I liked the sound of it and can't wait to hear the rest of the album.I wish the 2nd and 3rd night wouldnt have had the same setlist. But thats really my only complaint.

This was number 18 for me, So I'm officially an adult/man now.
^this is where the magic happens.
killing it.

They busted out the go-pro for Seattle. I sortof remember they did that for another Seattle show [Corazon? Showbox? Where does the footage go??]
The paramount definitely had better lighting, but it was so bizarre to be so far from the stage, while at the rail. Glad to see a bigger Toadies turnout and people I've met and talked to and sent stuff from previous shows, but still missing some of the regulars.

I got an e-mail today from the person who scalped me a ticket to the sold-out first night in Portland, I guess he talked to Rez, and
I TOLD HIM YOU BOUGHT MY TICKET-HE KNEW EXACTLY WHO I WAS TALKING ABOUT WHEN I MENTIONED YOU.HE SAID THAT YOU ARE A VERY NICE PERSON

^Totally made my week.
MissTeen

Postby thewicke on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:53 am

Awesome post....always good to hear from the fanatics, along with some great pictures...I found myself chuckling when they came to Denton and I was already singing along to SotStrange as well....I had people asking me what the name was and how I knew about the song and whatnot...I directed them to youtube, hopefully the hits keep comin' RYFOLAMF...kindof a BBrothers thang, but still fitting.
thewicke

Postby chunkfuzzman on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:57 pm

thanks for the awesome pics!!! wish i coulda been there
chunkfuzzman

Return to Toadies